PhDr. Jan Hornát, Ph.D.
Jan Hornát is currently an Assistant Professor at the Department of North American Studies of the Institute of International Studies at Charles University in Prague. He holds a Master’s degree from Charles University in American studies and is currently pursuing a Ph.D. in International Area Studies, focusing on the comparison of the approaches of the EU and the US toward democracy promotion. Jan is also an Associate Research Fellow at the Institute of International Relations in Prague, an independent think-tank originally founded by the Czech Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Prior to joining the faculty at Charles University, Jan served as Head of Unit at the Department of European Programmes at the Ministry of Justice of the Czech Republic and as Project coordinator at the Forum 2000 Foundation. He is a member of the Prague Hub of the World Economic Forum’s Global Shapers community.
- Fiřtová, Magdalena - Hornát, Jan - Sehnálková, Jana (eds.): Prezidenství Baracka Obamy: Naplněné vize?, Prague: Charles University Press, 2017.
- Hornát, Jan: “Uspořádání světa podle Donalda J. Trumpa”, Mezinárodní politika, January 27, 2017.
- Hornát, Jan: “Closing the Closing Space: Sustaining democracy promotion in European Foreign Policy”, Global Affairs 2 (3), 2016: 273-285.
- Hornát, Jan: “The Power Triangle in the Indian Ocean: China, India and the United States”, Cambridge Review of International Affairs 29 (2), 2016: 425-443.
- Hornát, Jan: “Is Beijing a Responsible Stake holder? A Critical Assessment of China’s Role in the International System of the 21st century according to the United States”, Archiv Orientální 80 (3), 2012: 435-473.
- Hornát, Jan: “Democracy Promotion: Competing Perspectives with Grave Consequences”, in: Kozak, Krystof - Toth, Gyorgy (eds.): US as a Divided Nation: Past and Present, Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang Verlag, 2014.
- Hornát, Jan: “Say No to a Balance of Power in Asia”, The National Interest, March 31, 2014.
- Hornát, Jan: “When to Promote Democracy”, The National Interest, October 24, 2013.
- Hornát, Jan: “Chinese Democracy is no Goal”, The National Interest, November 23, 2012.
- Hornát, Jan: “Úpadek USA jako tichomořské velmoci? Současný vývoj situace v Jihočínském moři”, in: Fiřtová, Magdalena - Kozák, Kryštof et al.: Spojené státy v úpadku?, Praha: Dokořán, 2013.
- Hornát, Jan: “Čína a Vietnam: Napětí mezi komunistickými sousedy”, Mezinárodní politika (5), 2014.
- Hornát, Jan: “Tibet, symbolism and the Czech Republic”, openDemocracy, April 28, 2016.
- Hornát, Jan: “The Prague Café: a brief incursion into Czech presidential discourse”, openDemocracy, November 11, 2015.
- Hornát, Jan: “US Foreign Policy and Democracy Promotion: From Theodore Roosevelt to Barack Obama”, Studia Territorialia, 15, No. 1–2 (2015).
- Hornát, Jan: “The EU’s Instruments in Assisting Democracy in Ukraine”, Policy Brief, EUROPEUM, March 2015.
- Hornát, Jan: “Challenges to Visegrad’s Democracy Assistance: Ukraine and Beyond”, Policy Paper, Forum 2000, March 2015.
- Hornát, Jan: “Visegrad Platform for Dialogue on Democracy, Human Rights and Civil Society”, Briefing Paper, Forum 2000, October 2014.
- Hornát, Jan: “Democratic Transitions and the Role of Visegrad Countries”, Forum 2000 Policy Paper, May 2014.
- Hornát, Jan: “A Czech election with consequences”, openDemocracy, October 14, 2013.
- Hornát, Jan: “The Relevance of Henry David Thoreau’s Thought in the 21st century”, POST, October 13, 2013.
- Hornát, Jan: “Policy recommendations for Promoting Democracy”, Prague Security Studies Institute Policy Memo, September 2013.
- Hornát, Jan: “Czech Republic: when a political scandal is a sign of better times”, openDemocracy, July 4, 2013.
- Hornát, Jan: “Russian vodka and Czech crown jewels”, openDemocracy, May 17, 2013.
- Hornát, Jan: “EU flag over Prague Castle”, openDemocracy, April 25, 2013.
- Hornát, Jan: “Reconstructing the Czech state”, openDemocracy, March 27, 2013.
- Hornát, Jan: “Obama’s ‘Reset’ with Russia: Failure or Lost Opportunity?” POST, March 15, 2013.
- Hornát, Jan: “Czech presidential vote: a society divided”, openDemocracy, January 30, 2013.
- Hornát, Jan: “Czech nuclear power in the shadow of geopolitics”, openDemocracy, January 9, 2013.
- Hornát, Jan: “What to expect from the Czech presidential election”, openDemocracy, November 13, 2012.
- 2016 – ongoing: GAUK (Grant Agency of Charles University) – The EU and US approaches to democracy promotion: normative tenets and their implications for policy-formulation. Grant recipient.
- Introduction to Area Studies
- Major Issues in Contemporary Public Debates in the U.S.
- Maritime security: Geopolitics of the Indian and Pacific Oceans
- Promoting democracy abroad: the US and the EU in third countries
- The US and international and regional organizations
- The West and the Third World: From Colonialism to Development Support
- Transatlantic dialogues: Current issues in US-EU relations