FAQ | Summer University
Prague Area Studies | Spring School | Winter School | Faculty | University


What visa should I apply for and do I get an acceptance letter for my visa application?

If you need a visa for travelling to the Czech Republic, we recommend to apply for a short term (up to 90 days) Schengen visa with study or research purpose. After paying the programme fee, the Summer University coordinator will provide students with an acceptance letter providing prove that accomodation and other services are reserved and paid for. There will be also the address of the hall of residence. Students alone are responsible for their visa applications, the Summer University staff has no possibility to intervene into the process. We recommend students to apply for a Schengen visa at the Czech Embassy (not another European country) and to apply as soon as possible. 

How much money should I take with me?

It really depends on you. The only costs not included in the price are transportation, dinners, medical insurance and pocket money. Food and drink in ordinary restaurants in Prague is generally cheaper than in Western Europe. Clothes and other consumer goods have more or less similar prices.
To help you judge, you can look at this table of Prague living costs in Czech, European, British and US currency: https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/prague?currency=EUR

Are credit cards widely accepted?

Credit cards are accepted in most hotels, supermarkets, shops and restaurants. However, local shops, cheaper restaurants and bars, small grocery stores, and some public institutions do not accept credit cards so it is good to have some cash with you.

Where can I obtain CZK (Czech crown)?

Visitors will often receive a better exchange rate for the Czech crown in Prague than in their home country.

The simplest and often most cost effective means of obtaining currency is to withdraw Czech crowns from a cash point machine (ATM). They are widely available and accept debit and credit cards backed by Visa, MasterCard/Eu­roCard, Maestro and American Express.

Prague Airport (Terminal 1): as you exit customs, cash point machines (ATMs) are located to the left of the exit doors, inside the airport terminal building – Prague Airport.
Prague Airport (Terminal 2): as you exit customs, cash point machines (ATMs) are located to the right of the exit doors, inside the airport terminal building – Prague Airport.
City Centre: cash points (ATMs) are located at Czech and international banks (you can find many of them around Wenceslas Square) and near to metro stations and shopping centres.

To exchange cash for Czech crowns in Prague and get very good rate try exchange offices. They usually offer 0 % commission. If you do use them, ask what the total amount you will receive is before you hand over any money. Exchange offices usually offer more convenient conditions than banks.

What time zone is Prague in?

The Czech Republic lies in the GMT +1 time zone, usually referred to as Central European Time (CET), along with most of Europe. Daylight savings time begins on the last Sunday in October and ends on the last Sunday in March.

Do I need an adaptor for my electronic equipment?

As in most of continental Europe, the electricity network in the Czech Republic has a voltage of 230 V and frequency of 50 Hz. Plug sockets have two round holes and one round pin. British, North American and other non-European tourists are advised to bring adaptors with them, which can usually be purchased at your departure airport. If you arrive in Prague without one, you can buy one at a supermarket or electronics store.

What is the standard of healthcare? What happens if I am ill or injured during my stay in Prague?

The quality of the Czech healthcare system is very good. Both private and state healthcare facilities operate in the Czech Republic.

Citizens of countries outside of the EU should purchase medical travel insurance before leaving home. If they fail to do so, they are liable to pay for treatment at the point of delivery.

Taking out extra travel medical insurance is recommended also to students coming from the EU countries. Nevertheless, the essential medical care is free for citizens of the EU member countries holding a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

The majority of doctors and pharmacists speak English. If you need any help, the university will help you to find a GP, a dentist or a specialist – and we are ready to accompany you in case you wish our assistance.

Can I stay at the dormitory before the Summer University programme begins or after it ends?

Yes, you can. We can arrange it for you in advance. If you tell us soon enough, there should be no problem booking the accommodation according to your wishes. If you decide to prolong your stay once you are in Prague, we will try to arrange it for you too; however, we can´t promise that there will be free places available.

What are the emergency numbers in the Czech Republic?

The most important emergency services have three-digit numbers which you should have with you at all times in case you should need them. These numbers can be called free of charge from mobiles even without a SIM card inserted.

What should I do if I lose my passport?

In this as in all difficult situations you should immediately contact your country’s embassy or consulate. Embassies are always located in Prague, and a complete list can be found on the Ministry for Foreign Affairs website. If you need any help, we are ready to advice you and to accompany you in case you wish our assistance.